Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Hiking at Gougane Barra - August 18th

On Saturday morning, a friend and I set out to go hiking, at a place in West Cork called Gougane Barra. We knew it was supposed to be a wet day, so weren't 100% sure how this hiking business was going to go. Sure enough, when we got there, it was decided that it was probably too wet to climb up into the hills and walk along the ridge, especially since I only had my runners on. (Excuse me...tennis shoes!) = ) However, there are some great trails that wander through the National Forest, so we spent a few hours walking around on those. The following pictures are some we took during our meanderings. (Truth be told, mostly David took these! I'll give him the credit due!)



Look closely! A wedding was about ready to take place at this little church as we were walking back to the car! The groom looks like he was waiting on his bride!

This one was taken on the pier in Bantry - I've included it simply as proof that I was there. = )We had some extra time in the afternoon, so drove through more of West Cork. Our journeys brought us through Bantry, and Ballydehob, and then Schull. (I still love the town names you come across here - I've been told by reliable sources that there is a very logical explanation for why so many of them are NOT pronounced the way they look like they should!) = ) We finished our day off in Clonakilty - a place I've decided I need to explore a bit more! (It looks like it has fun shopping!)


Schull

Post Office in what was once a church - Clonakilty

1 comment:

Log home living said...

I'm enjoying your blog Alissa..you're making some wonderful memories!
Donna